Sunday, August 12, 2007

Live the Questions

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketMy Law of Attraction Group is studying relationships this month. At our last meeting, a list of questions was provided to us as a tool to help further examine our thoughts and feelings about the relationships in our lives.

As I began working my way through the list of questions I noticed that I was having some difficulty answering some of them. At first I didn't know why but then I realized that I was approaching the questions as if I were taking a test and wanted to get a good grade on it. I wrote answers that sounded good and logical but held no truth or real emotion for me. Why would I do this? What’s the benefit? Why did I care more about how it looked on the outside than how it felt for me on the inside?

As I was thinking about what the answer to these questions would be, a quote from one of my favorite books, "Letters to a Young Poet" by Ranier Maria Rilke, came into my mind. It's from Letter Four and it says:
"...try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer."

Perfection. Live the questions. Live everything. I love it!

So, here is a list of a few other questions I am now living.

1. What is a relationship?
2. What does it mean to be in a relationship?
3. What defines a good relationship?
4. What is a successful relationship?
5. Are good relationships successful relationships?
6. Why aren't all of our relationships fulfilling?
7. Are there different kinds of relationships?
8. What do you gain from your relationships?
9. What is it that you bring to every relationship?
10. What does love look like when it's not about seeking, wanting or needing?

I plan to share my experiences and insights in living these questions with you in the coming days. I hope you will in turn share your experiences in living your questions with me. I know we have much to gain by doing so.

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Dear Maddy,

You just have such good insight and write with such loving, positive energy. I just love both your blogs.

Thank you for sharing your light.

~Suzanne

Anonymous said...

You have been tagged for The Personal Development List. (See my site for details), I would love for you to participate.

Lori Archibald said...

Priscilla,

Thanks for the tag. Count me in. I would love to participate!

Lori

Anonymous said...

After Priscilla Palmer's self development list my friend Jenny and I have decided to try to help build the self development community as well with a little contest. I would like to invite you to find out more details at Win a $25 Gift Certificate.

John W. McKenna said...

Maddy

You’ve been tagged for the “Does Most Leadership Suck Challenge”. Check the link for details.

Take care...

JWM